Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A short film


scene-1

The sun has just risen and sunil is standing looking towards the window ....in deep thought...

Sunil-telling the camera

Sammy (also goes by the name sowmya) was my best friend from college....we both were worlds apart....she was the life of the college and I was the "weird dude who never talked".....its been 4 years since college finished....and also 4 years since we saw each other...

And NOW,we both are nothing like what we were in college.......but today, strangely...she called out of the blue wanting to meet...her tone seemed slightly weird and restless...it seemed like she wanted to meet me and get it over with....and she would refuse to take NO for an answer. (turns around and faces the camera)Which is very unlike Sammy...from what I remember...In college she used to have an ego bigger than the planet!....but I kind of got the feeling shes calmed down a lot,from what I knew of her...

the bell rings...
Sunil tells the camera hurriedly (clearly a person)..To go hide some where...he tells the camera that he told Sammy that he'll be alone. Because she wanted to meet "alone"

scene-2


Sammy think to her self.... standing outside the door...

she hated this. As much as she liked Sunil...and even though it’s been such a long time since they had met up. She still didn’t want to do it now,today!...now was a horrible time in her life...she cudnt find herself...she was lost career wise... she was getting old...she wasn’t married....she was living alone.!!she hated her life...but today was the big day...the day she was going to attend an interview,for her dream job....to head the cities most popular radio station...she wanted to be prepared and on her tips...and her heart had sank when Sunil’s parents had called the earlier evening...she couldn’t say no to them....she had to do this!! ..for old times sake...she had to help Sunil’s parents find out what was going on....she couldn’t imagine... what had gotten into him...!?all the strange things she had been hearing about him....

her stream of thoughts broke just as Sunil opened the door....

he seemed a little hesitant...and they just made eye contact for a few seconds...

sam-hiiiii sunniill
sun-hello....(they hug briefly and uncomfortably)
sun-come in have a seat...(they walk into his hall)

(they sit on the sofa, Sammy switches her cell phone off and keeps it on the table)

Sam-my god its been such a long time..How have you been??
sun-(smiles)..I've been good...and yeah the last time we met I think....was when we were saying goodbye to our college watchman, who used to let us out of the gate during break...remember!!??
Sam-(laughs)o my god..Yes!!...all the things we've done man....its crazy...
sun- so how come you your here all of a sudden...??(Looks at the camera from the corner of his eye)(Pauses)I was actually a little shocked to get your call last night...
sam-yeahhh...(hessitates for a sec)..no its just been so long...I mean...I almost forgot your face(laughs lightly)...so just thought ill drop by...
sun-sorry to hear about your engagement....I meant to call you
sam-(smiles weakly)yes...it was unfortunate...but hey...everything happens for the best!!..Does'nt it!??
Sun-yes it does....
Sam-you know what’s weird though. It hardly feels like its been 4 yeas...I mean it’s like we are picking up where we left off....like...yesterday!!!
sun- yes it does....guess that really means we must have been the best of friends...
Sam-yes...so tell me how have you been!??
Sun-(looks at the camera to make sure Sam can’t see him/it)ive been good..I was working with taj group of hotels...was going great actually...but I.... quit a few months ago
Sam-can I ask why?
Sun-well...aaaaammmm...just ...personal reasons....
sam-ohh... (Slightly feeling uncomfortable)...so what are you planning to do next..!?
Sun-aahh i was just hoping to take some time off ...time for myself!!(Smiles)
Sam-are you ok Sunil? You seem a little uncomfortable....
sun-no no no!!! im fine..im fine..!!
Sam-listen...ive been ................hearing a few things about you!!... about your behavior, apparently ...you've been acting a little strange and stuff!??Whats happening...
Sun-no... nothing like that...
Sam-is there some thing you want to tell me...or share with me!?
Sun-well nothing in particular...
Sam-any girlfriends???(winks)
sun-believe me...I wish!! But no....
Sam-oh c’mon....you can tell me.....
Sun-(laughs) Sammy do you think ill hide anything from you...even after all these years...??!!

The clock strikes 10am...Sammy turns to look at it and her expressions changes, she becomes a little nervous..

Sam-my god is it 10 already....Sunil I hate to but I have to go....I have this very important meeting at 11 and its at the other end of town...
Sun-(stands up)alright....I understand....no problem
Sam-yes..(Pickes up her hand bag and begins walking out of the door)
Sun-we should catch up some time...

Sam & Sun are facing each other at the edge of the door..

Sam-yes, it really been too long... but it feels so good to meet you again
Sun-yes...it really does (both of them smile at each other)

They hug briefly,this time it’s a warm one...
Sam turns away and begins walking towards her car.....

Sunil shuts the door and walks straight towards the camera and says-she’s gone,
you know what!!! it actually wasn’t soo bad....she is real sweetheart...so easy to talk to,so open and straight forward....and today,she’s no different. Just the same Sammy I knew in college...except a little older... (Laughs)

Turns and is shocked to find Sammy....standing at the door...

Sun-how did you come in???(Looking between the camera and her in shock)
Sam- the door wasn’t closed properly,I forgot my cell phone...
Sam-but who were you talking to!?
Sun-(looks down for a few sec and then meets her eye) im sorry I lied to you ...I said I was alone....im not!! I want you to meet rahul...and points to the camera...

Sam-(is completely shocked) doesn’t move...(looks where Sunil is pointing)
Sun-hes a close friend, from taj

Sam-(still isn’t moving from where she is)

There’s a few secs pause

Sam-.....Sunil.......there’s no one there....

Sun-shocked looks at the sammy....and back to the camera.............

(The plot of the story is that rahul is infact a hallucination of the patient (Sunil), Sunil is a schizophrenic) and the audience sees the movie from the eyes of hallucination....

Schizophrenia-
A mental disorders characterized by disturbances of language and communication; thought disturbances that may involve distortion of reality, misperceptions, delusions and hallucinations; mood changes and withdrawn, regressive, or bizarre behavior, lasting longer than six months.


3 comments:

Lone Observer said...

I love the attention to detail you have given, however, it does hang a bit, the character of sammy has be elaborated upon, but no justice done to it, will there be an act 2? with Sunil connecting to sammy?

Anonymous said...

u read my mind gauti!!!

Unknown said...

Di never expected this story ... its crisp like chips ... and has the desired impact ... i really think this should be filmed ... loved it ...!! rocks !!